If you are planning to build your dream home, your choice of roofing materials is critical, as the roof will protect the property from the elements. There are, of course, options for roofing materials, such as steel or aluminium, yet if you want the roof that ticks all the boxes, traditional slate is by far the best solution, and if you are yet to be convinced of this, here are just a few of the benefits that a slate roof brings.
- Timeless Elegance – The one thing a metal roof cannot give you is a look of character and style, and with traditional slate roofing that has been handed down through generations, you have a roof that looks good and will stand the test of time. The slate roof must be built by an expert, and this is not something to be entrusted to anyone other than a slate roofer.
- Durable and Long Lasting – Slate has long been the preferred roofing material and despite the arrival of composite materials, nothing can equal the amazing properties of slate. The roof surface will be impervious to water and if the roof is properly constructed, it will give you decades of trouble-free use. Colour can be a variety of shades and the roofing contractor would be able to show you a catalogue of the various colours they currently have available.
- Fire Resistant – Slate roofing tiles are fire resistant, which is ideal if you live in a bushfire zone, and whatever the elements can conjure up, your slate roofing will be more than able to handle it. Having a fire resistant roof covering might be the difference between extensive damage and a complete burnout, and it could give the emergency services that valuable time to bring the fire under control.
- Value for Money – While a slate roof won’t be a small investment, when you consider its durability, it is money well spent. Having a traditional slate roof would certainly add value to the property, and with a professional build using the very best materials, the roofing contractor would be happy to provide a long warranty on all the work.
- Natural Reflector of Heat – Unlike some materials, slate will not absorb the heat, rather it will deflect it, which gives you good insulation. If you are looking to help your a/c system keep the home cool in the summer, a slate roof goes a long way towards achieving this.
You might think in today’s modern world that traditional slate roofing is a thing of the past. Yet, due to popular demand, slate is still the preferred roofing material for many Australian homeowners. If you would like to explore the possibilities of installing a slate roof on your new home, all it takes is a Google search and you will be in contact with a local slate roofing contractor, who can help you to design the perfect roof.